Tuesday 18 September 2012

Strains of Real VS Fictional Life

     So the last 6 weeks (at least I think it has been 6 weeks) has been very draining. In real life, and in the fictional one I'm trying to fix. 

     Real Life: On top of my own life getting me down, my best friends (who are basically sisters to me) have had some tough times. One of my girls, her pregnancy isn't going so well. So right now there's lots of tests and up-in-air who-knows-what-is-going-to-happen stuff. Others has suffered bereavements, family members diagnosed with illnesses. It's tough. Unfortunately it's the result of real life and growing older. We all understand how crap things like this feel. We all have individual ways of dealing with these things. And we have to, because there's no way to be sheltered from any of it.

     Fictional One: There's this story, and characters that I don't think I can ever give up until I've got there story nailed. Told it in the way that they most deserve. But - do you believe there is ever a point that we must say: enough is enough? Fellow writers can understand this feeling of course, however I've always believed: never give up. And I don't think I can, not yet. I've at least got to go over all possibilities. It's worth trying, and I think these characters deserve that from me.

     So, all in all these weeks have been pretty emotional. And if you know me, you know I'm a pretty emotional person (in private of course, at home - typically British of me.) I cry at ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE, LONG LOST FAMILY and DON'T TELL THE BRIDE. (I once told a friend I cry because these three programmes are full of love. I can't handle all that love.)

     Like many I also cry at films, happy ones and sad ones. Mainly sad ones. My mum moans about how many sad films I watch. Recently I watched a beautiful film called: BRIGHT STAR. It tells the tragic love story of John Keats and Fanny Brawne. The thing that makes this film so much sadder, much like the film CREATION about Charles Darwin, is that the story is based on truth. Fact. I sob harder when I remember this.

     Once my eyes were dry, in true form I borrowed the book from the library. The book is a collection of the letters, and poetry, of John Keats. I needed this book because there's one letter that the delectable Ben Whishaw narrates in the film, and it melts my heart. I wanted to share a few lines from it with you:

'write the softest words and kiss them that I may at least touch my lips where yours have been. For myself I know not how to express my devotion to so fair a form: I want a brighter word than bright, a fairer word than fair. I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days – three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.'

     If someone ever uttered these words to me, I'd be there's always.

11 comments:

  1. I think we can all be emotional often. I use it with my writing, turning my emotions into my characters.

    Glad you are back blogging,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find what's going on in real life I convey through storytelling too.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry these weeks have been tough on you and your friends. I hope life picks back up for you soon. And Bright Star definitely made me cry. It was such a powerful and beautiful film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hopefully it will get there.

      It was such a brilliant film, one of my favourites now.

      Hope you're well Meredith!

      Delete
  3. Hey hun, glad to see you back around the blogsphere :) Sounds like you've had a tough couple of weeks - Hopefully things will get better from here on out. And deff dont give up on your story! It sounds like you've put lot of effort into it so would be a shame for you to quit now. If you want a fresh pair of eyes on it feel free to email it my way :) I'll try my best to be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, thank you. Keeping my fingers crossed for everything, but hopefully good stuff will come in the end :) Hope you're good.

      That would be absolutely amazing if you could, I'm sure I still have your email. I'll message you :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you have hit a rough patch. My advice, take all that emotion (anger, pain, fear, confusion, etc) and toss it not your characters. In my experience, they make a great outlet for all the pent up emotion.

    Ditto what Sarah said -- if you need a fresh set of eyes, I'd be happy to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. satta king Keep an eye out for all kinds of natural geometry when taking pictures. Pay special attention to any "lines" that your eye can pick up on in the area or on the subject that you will be shooting. Find the "line" and use it to take a good shot. play bazaar

    ReplyDelete