Sunday 2 October 2011

Sunday Thoughts

It's been quite a hectic few days. (And not just because of the Doctor Who finale, and the judges houses stage of the X Factor) I can't even tell you why, but it almost feels as though everything has been happening all at once. 

I've been spending some time with my friends, which has been good. (Perhaps not so for the liver, poor thing has been put through the mill lately) The birthday season has started again, so there's been a lot of celebrations. And my friend's 3 month old daughter is being christened later this month, which is very exciting. She is an absolutely beauty. 

I've been preparing for University. I started this by purchasing myself a wireless printer, which I adore.
I do love gadgets and technology, even though I'm not great at handling it.
I can finally print from my laptop! Goodbye days of emailing myself my work, then using my Mums computer to copy and paste into a new document. Hello time saved.
Little things like that make me happy. 

Now the eve has arrived before my first lecture and I am so nervous. I didn't get my modules till late last week, so I haven't had enough time to find my reading materials. Gah.
I like to build these things up in my head and over complicate them, usually I am wrong and I wonder why I worried so much in the first place.
I really hope that's the case with this first week. I suppose only one way to find out. 

Also this week I've been thinking a lot about words, more specifically the number of them.
I bit the bullet and submitted some work to be critiqued on a blog. By complete strangers. It was a little painful, but wonderfully enriching.
Yes, being critiqued is hard (especially by people I don't know and have never met) but I feel it is needed for writers to grow and learn.
When starting my novel, I had no clue about word count. Honestly. I just thought it was a fun number for me to know.
Then I did some research on books and querying.
I really didn't have a clue. 
My novel was way too long. After reading some good articles from other authors and agents on word count in novels, it lead me to the decision to break my story into two. And I think it's strengthened the story, one of the best things to have come out of this year.
A good place to start if you're looking into this is this great entry on agent Jennifer Laughran's blog. It also lists some great examples of books on the market, from early reader to YA.

So this evening I end this blog on a wondrous note. Wondrous apprehension. You know when you've made some decisions, then a lot of things have happened, and you just hope it will work out in the end. That's sorta where I am this evening. I feel full of so much and I know I'm about to get even fuller. (Especially with knowledge - I hope at least.)

I hope you've all had a good weekend. And here's to the start of October, can't wait to see where we all are at the end of it.
You never know what could happen.

I also want to leave you with this beautiful cover of Wherever You Will Go, discovered from an advert for Twinings tea. 


4 comments:

  1. Good luck at University tomorrow. I hope your October is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!!! And, I'm a fellow technology dork. I LOVE it all and would rather own gadgets than even boots/handbags which is really saying something LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Sounds like you're in a pretty awesome place--sometimes being busy is the best way to be. :) And I LOVE this cover--thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete