Thursday 18 August 2011

2011...What a year you've been...And it hasn't finished.


Recently I heard someone say; oh they said 2011 was going to be a bad year didn't they?
I want to know who this particular someone was, and if they looked into my future.
January started pretty much the way it always does, except for the fact I finished my first novel, and learnt how to write my query letter and synopsis.
Then I suddenly got very ill. It was the kind of illness that had me admitted into hospital several times before I was diagnosed with what was actually wrong with me. This was also after I had been passed around to a dozen various doctors, and been to see my GP up-tine times.
It was also the kind of illness that still affects me now. My immune system was attacked quite severely, and is still struggling to patch itself back together after being so ill. It also affected the rest of my life.
I had to suspend my university course; otherwise I was told I'd fail. I missed out on lots of social events. Hardly been to work, a part-time job that I adore.

We struggled with money, actually still are. No one tells you how hard money can be to manage. Yes they are plenty of good, better things that money can't buy: but it helps, enables you to enjoy those other wonderful things in life.

And since being ill, it seemed to me that everything that could go wrong, has.
Although I can't say the year has been all bad. I've enjoyed great times with family and friends. And they all spoilt me, treated me far better than I sometimes wonder if I deserve, on my 21st.
I was given some great advice for my novel, which lead me to writing a saga instead of a trilogy, the first two books of which I have already written. That advice, from a very considerate agent, has also resulted in me writing a better first novel.
The other thing about this year I'm so grateful to have succeeded in, is increasing my reading list. I've read so many great books, mainly in the genre I wish to base my writing career, and the list is ever growing.
So far I've read:

  • City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
  • Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
  • Howls Moving Castle By Diana Wynne Jones
  • The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marriott
  • Daughter of the Flames by Zoë Marriott (Currently Reading)
  • Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
  • A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
  • Beastly by Alex Flinn
  • A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
  • Cloaked by Alex Flinn
  • Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Lament by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Passion by Lauren Kate
  • Eternal Kiss (YA Vampire Short Story Collection - MUST READ!)
  • Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
  • Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith
  • Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling (Re read for the 100th time)


The next top ones to read are:

  • Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Across the Universe by Beth Revis
  • Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
  • Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
  • Shadows on The Moon by Zoë Marriott
  • The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa
  • Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
  • Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stone
  • Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stone
  • The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
  • Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
  • The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong
  • Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
  • Soul Screamers Series by Rachel Vincent
  • Die For Me by Amy Plum

(Needless to say the list is endless, being ill and in hospital so often gives you a lot of time to read/research. Plus my friend has a great library I steal from.)

So yes, I'd say 2011 has been, overall, rather crappy. And I wish I knew when it would improve. But, I have furthered my work, written ideas and excerpts for several other planned novels. I have enjoyed some good times.
And I know I don't have it as bad as some, I know it can only go up from here, or at least I hope. And if by the end of the year, my one constant wish comes true, i'll be overjoyed.


By the way the wish, for my Mum to be happy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amie,
    What a great introduction. I am sorry to read that you have had some tough times this year but you obviously have an amazingly positive attitude.
    Looking at your lists is like looking at my own bookshelf! I look forward to reading future entries.
    If you haven't read them already The Hunger Games Trilogy is brilliant
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Caroline, it has been hard but I'm still going =]
    Yes I have heard about the Hunger Games, and I was wondering whether it would be my thing. But I've heard it has a great female character in it, so I was thinking of reading them before the film comes out.
    Thank you for reading my blog, and taking the time to comment.
    Amie

    ReplyDelete