Monday 29 August 2011

Romantic Fools 2

So yesterday I wrote a rather long blog about my love of romance in films. I went over a fair few favourites, perhaps rambling on, but it didn't even feel like a dip in the ocean in comparison to what I could have mentioned.

That's why today I've tired to narrow it down to just a few, and believe me it has proven rather difficult.

I'm going to start with my most recent love affair: Starcrossed.
To call it epic just isn't enough. It has a great pace, which pulls you along with every word, hooking you into this fascinating world. All the characters are extremely vivid, so feel very much alive.
And not only do you believe that the love between Helen and Lucas is true because it's controlled by fate, but because during the course of the book you witness them falling in love. And it is the type of relationship you can completely relate to, 'we hold hands and act like a couple - are we or aren't we?' - I know that kind of relationship.
Starcrossed is an absolute MUST-READ for every fan of YA Fantasy romance. You will not be disappointed. And it's written by the fabulous Josephine Angelini, who is one of the nicest writers around.


Noughts and Crosses is the first book in a saga written by the awesome Malorie Blackman, who I had the pleasure of meeting once. Nought and Crosses was probably the first book I feel in love with after Harry Potter.
The writing is just effortless, which makes the same for reading. It is a story of star-crossed lovers, set it an alternate universe, where the divide between races is rife. It made for such interesting reading when , and really made me stop and think.
It also has two main characters, Sephy and Callum, who are so intriguing and wonderful that you can't help but love them to.
Although this book comes with a warning, have tissues at hand. And do read the whole saga, it is extremly gripping.


Two writers I adore when it comes to matters of the heart are Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees. They have written many books together, which I've shared with many friends.
The first book I read written by them is The Boy Next Door. Short but powerfully sweet is the way I'd describe it.
There's also the trilogy about/relates to Amy & Jack (Come Together, Come Again, The Seven Year Itch) which is really funny, and full of real life. I hope that last statement makes sense. The books do not avoid the situations people often find themselves going through, it faces them head on with humour and sensitivity.
My favourite book of theirs would probably have to be Love Lives. It is so gripping, and I absolutely love the premise and setting. It has a little more drama than the others, but still dealt with in the same loving humorous way.

One of my favourite writers has to be Cassandra Clare. She writes amazing books for YA, set in the world of Shadowhunters. And her two series, The Mortal Instruments and The Internal Devices, is filled with romance.
I recently reread City of Bones, and remembered why I love Jace and Clary's relationship. There was no moping around from Clary for Jace, no really obvious signals, it was just a bond they had that lead to them falling in love. (With the wrong person? The question still hangs in the air.) Everyone loves a love triangle, and the one between Tessa, Will and Jem is brilliant. (And from Cassandra Clare’s twitter we can assume she is going to handled this with brilliance and originality - as she does.) I find it really hard to favour either of the boys, and Tessa is such a fantastic character. Cannot wait for the release of Clockwork Prince!


Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. I love Harry potter, my whole family loves Harry Potter. We went to see every film together; we are saving up to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando.

Some of us even went to Alnwick Castle a couple years ago, which is used as Hogwarts for the first two films. And by the way, it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited, my Mum wants us to ALL go again.

Now I do love the films, (actually not all of them. Half Blood Prince - that's all I'm going to say) but for me they do not do Hermione and Ron's relationship justice enough. I love the storyline where Hermione helps the house elves with her campaign, it is fantastic. So therefore I adored the scene where Ron and Hermione first kissed, I reread the book just so I can read that. It really showed how much Ron especially had grown, and you knew they were meant to be.


Nicholas Sparks books are a great easy read. I have read quite a few of his books, and enjoy reading them on a rainy day or relaxing afternoon. One my favourites would have to be The Last Song, although this could be because I can really relate to the subject matter. Never the less it was another great read.

Also I want to briefly mention The Time Travellers Wife. I did watch the film first, but then I knew I had to read the book. I don't believe it's for the faint hearted. I know one of my friends found some of it quite harrowing to read, but she has a more softer nature.
It's such a clever and powerful book. It evokes so much in you that I find it hard to describe. If you want to read brilliance, and a beautiful, true love story then do read this. (Or get the audio book as I did - I was crying in the middle of the train station, and I already read the hard copy of the book.)

Of course I can't finish without mentioning the classics of Jane Austen and Emily Bronte, but I think it is obviously that they wrote some of the greatest romance stories ever told.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you again, The Time Traveller's Wife, Noughts and Crosses, Starcrossed...

    ReplyDelete